6 June is reserved for the UN Russian Language Day. As we want to celebrate the language as well as the culture of different nations, we’re bringing you the taste of Russian cuisine with this easy recipe for Zapekanka. It’s a traditional breakfast recipe and people love it for its taste, texture and nutritive values.
Even though there are many different recipe varieties for this dessert, we found the one that is extremely easy to make and it’s perfect for these hot summery days when we don’t want to spend too much time by the oven. The prep-time for this one-bowl recipe is only 10 min readutes (not including the baking time). Despite this recipe originally being made with some specific ingredients, such as semolina and smetana, there are much more accessible alternatives that work just as well.
To make Zapekanka, you’re going to need:
- 600 g cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 6-7 tablespoons semolina (or plain flour)
- Half cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a dash of vinegar or 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50 g of sour cream
- Vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- Raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- Butter (for greasing the pan)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C / 350 °F
- Mix the cottage cheese with semolina or flour
- Add an egg and beat in
- Add the sugar and beat in
- Add in the vanilla and raisins or dried cranberries, if desired
- Grease the pan with butter
- Pour the mixture into the pan and top with sour cream
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Let cool down completely
Zapekanka is served cold and you can use different kinds of toppings, such as berry syrup, jam or anything else that you like.
Have a nice meal and enjoy the rest of the day!